- Mission Statement
- The Boat Builder
- The Chief Skugaid
- Photos, Films, Video
- The Chief's Freighter Canoes
- Current Ship's log & blog
- Friends of the Chief
- Support the Chief
- The Chief's Favourite Links
- Contact / Comments
- The Chief on Facebook
- To refurbish and reconfigure the vessel as a motor-sailer by restoring its auxiliary sail-power, thereby increasing its range and economy of operation.
- To provide a platform for non-profit, environmental, and educational programs, on a cost-plus charter basis.
- To facilitate exploration and understanding of "the way of a ship in the heart of the deeps," by:
_4. To conduct environmentally-sensitive eco-tours of Haida Gwaii and "up the Inlets" of the Great Bear Rainforest for amateur and professional researchers alike.
5. Ultimately to act as a Cetacean and Marine-mammal Rescue and Transport vessel by employing the massive fish-holds (photo) as 'aquaria in transit' ie: flooded with seawater to a depth of 12' to accommodate injured/distressed seals, sea-lions, dolphins, porpoises, basking-sharks, sturgeon from the Fraser, sea-otters, turtles, even juvenile orcas, from any pick-up point on the West Coast.
The Chief's twin loading booms (photo above) have both the reach and capacity (3 tons each) to load/unload creatures from or into the water (with diver-assistance) or from/onto a dock. The vessel will be available on contract and at short-notice to any reputable and professional marine rescue/rehabilitation organization in Canada or the USA.